Follicular Unit Extraction is one of the most popular hair transplant treatments in Calgary. But a lot of people still don’t know enough about the process, the recovery and the results of the process. This guide will give you everything you need.
The Guide To Follicular Unit Extraction
While the process for getting Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) might seem complicated, it is actually easier than most people know. To explain it properly, here is a step-by-step breakdown:
- Local anesthetic is administered so you don’t feel anything.
- The donor area (where your hair follicles will be extracted for the implant) is shaved down to a 2mm length.
- Your hair clinic professional will slowly remove the hair grafts from the donor area. This is also known as being “punched out”. They will be removed one by one. Depending on the size of the transplant, and the quality, some of the grafts might be taken from outside the donor area.
- Once the hair grafts are extracted from the donor area, they will be harvested before the implementation begins.
- The implementation site will get a shot of local anesthetic so you feel nothing.
- A small incision will be made about 1mm deep, or roughly the length of your grafts for each one.
- The grafts will be then implanted one by one in the area, depending on the direction, angle and density of the rest of your hair. If you’re bald, then the grafts will be inserted to mimic your remaining hair pattern.
- The entire process takes between 4 and 8 hours, depending on the transplant size.
The recovery period after surgical hair restoration essential for the building of your new hair. Your scalp will be very sensitive following the treatment. For a few days, you will be required to wear bandages and take antibiotics to prevent any infections. You will have to alter your showering patterns and sleeping style according to your doctor’s instructions.
After about five to seven weeks, you will notice that some of your hair is falling out. Don’t panic! This is a normal part of the procedure and shows that the grafts are slowly taking root while your old hair is being pushed out.
The Results: After around four to five months, you will start to notice your hair developing, but it could be as long as 18 months for the full effects to come through. Once that happens, you can relax and know that the FUE treatment has worked – and you’ll have hair for a lifetime!
Prime Hair Clinic offers services to help you get back on track. Our world-class surgical techniques set us apart and our honest, caring, and experienced staff can help you look and feel your best. For all hair restoration services including PRP therapy, scalp micropigmentation, surgical hair transplants as well as medical aesthetic procedures such as Botox and dermaplaning, trust Prime Hair Clinic. Contact us by phone at (403) 259-6798 or by email at [email protected]